Friday, February 21, 2020

More on Harappa Valley Civilisation

Remember my fascination for Harappa? Today, I finally had some time and went to my favourite page - Harappa.com. This site helps us stay in touch with archeological work being done in Pakistan. 
And guess what I found? This absolute treasure trove: https://www.harappa.com/content/published-archaeobotanical-data-indus-civilisation-south-asia-c-3200–1500-bc?fbclid=IwAR2nBCEgTkrP0swi-NxpOiffN2-LvrCya8YDlx2ncYl2-inM4CN1KquuyM8 All the content we know related to Harappan food! Also, at this site today, I read an article that corroborates my idea that the Harappan seals were mercantile branding instruments.

BUT coming back to the main thing. This is what I think (more thoughts on the IVC)
  • The cooking and storage vessels I have seen so far indicate a narrow stove fire, not unlike the later Chulhas that we observe in the region.
  • I also think that grains were the staple diet, cooked with some form of spiced gravy/sauce, since the cooking pots need the use of a ladle.
  • Family units were probably from 4 to 12 ppl, with community cooking, while not the norm, was not unheard of either. Much like today's times.
  • The other thing I deduce is that either men and women both donned terracotta bangles, or women did much of the household shopping. Because terracotta bangles are discretionary expenditure. They are neither precious enough to be saved for, nor important enough to be preserved specially. So the preponderance of terracotta bangle bits can only mean that they were bought and sold often. The same goes for terracotta children's toys. So I think that while they were an agricultural - mercantile civilisation, home commerce was in the hands of women and there was adequate financial freedom to do discretionary expenditure.

I also think that India and Pakistan should put their political differences aside and work together to unravel the mysteries of the civilisation and the genetic stock that they share. If the Indian side added to this database that is very nicely compiled and made publicly available, we would be able to draw a map with food habits and commonly used food substances. 

No comments: