Saturday, November 18, 2023

Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe and Sukhwinder Singh

Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe and Soora so are the 2 Sikh hymns that mean a lot to me. 

When I first heard Sukhwinder's voice, I knew that this was the ONLY voice that would do justice to Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe. 

And from there, it was a wait of more than a decade and a half. 

Finally, at a DD channel launch, Sukhwinder Singh sang Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe. 

But it was not possible to get a recording of that event. We only heard it once on TV. 

And since then, I have looked for Deh Shiva bar mohe ihe and Soora so in Sukhwinder's voice. 

First, what the hymns mean: 

ਦੇਹ ਸਿਵਾ ਬਰ ਮੋਹਿ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਭ ਕਰਮਨ ਤੇ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨ ਟਰੋਂ ॥
Deh Shiva Bar Mohe Ihe, Shubh Karman te Kabhoon na Taron
देह शिव बर मोहे इहे शुभ करमन ते कबहूँ न टरऔँ
O Lord! grant me this boon, that I may never falter in performing righteous actions.

न डरों और सौं जब जाए लड़ो, निश्चय कर अपनी जीत करो
Na Daro aur saun jab Jaaye laDo, Nishchay kar apni jeet karo ਨ ਡਰੋਂ ਅਰਿ ਸੋ ਜਬ ਜਾਇ ਲਰੋਂ ਨਿਸਚੈ ਕਰ ਅਪਨੀ ਜੀਤ ਕਰੋਂ ॥ When I go to fight my enemies, I may not be a bit intimidated by them and may certainly become victorious.

Aru sikh (teaching) haun apne hi man ko, ih lalach ho gur ko ucharo
अरु सिख हूँ अपने ही मन को, इह लालच हो गुर को उचरो, ਅਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਹੋਂ ਆਪਨੇ ਹੀ ਮਨ ਕੌ ਇਹ ਲਾਲਚ ਹਉ ਗੁਨ ਤਉ ਉਚਰੋਂ ॥ And I may inculcate my mind with a consistent craving that I may ever utter Your praises.

जब आयु की औध निधान बने अत ही रण में तब जूझ मरो
Jab aav kee audh nidhaan bane, at hee rann mein tab joojh maro ਜਬ ਆਵ ਕੀ ਅਉਧ ਨਿਦਾਨ ਬਨੈ ਅਤ ਹੀ ਰਨ ਮੈ ਤਬ ਜੂਝ ਮਰੋਂ ॥੨੩੧॥ When my lifespan comes to an end, then I may lay down my life fighting fiercely in the battlefield.

Now, the versions
This is closest to the Mahendra Kapoor version (also the original tune of the shabad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0M6vc8B738

This is the version sung for the hindi film Kesari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVl_DFjY6H8


And soora soi sung by Sukhwinder for Gadar 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOhEg91_zg


This is a version by Satinder Sartaj: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qOiMr9W7seQ
But i am recording this bcs this is the original tune of a Gurbani piece that includes - Shri Asipan kirpa tumri kar main na kahyo sab tohe bakhanyo.. sagal dwaar ko chhad ke gayo tuharo dwaar,..i will remember the full thing. But i never hear this tune any more. That gurbani was sung in our house to this tune.



No comments: