Sunday, January 05, 2020

On CAA: (and NOT NRC.)


My dear friends: I completely respect your opinion, even if it differs diametrically from mine, if you have read the laws.

I also watch with amusement your reading of the 42nd Amendment Preamble that was created as an absolute act of tyranny in post independence India (Watch The Tashkent Files to know how this Preamble was pushed through and what it really stands for. OR read the history of the 42nd Amendment yourself).

I also accept your unwillingness to read the Act, but to arrive at flash judgement and give a completely unrelated twist to the Amendment whose only job is to give disenfranchised victims of religious persecution a semblance of dignity - some 6 years sooner. That's all. Giving them and their families 6 years of dignity. NOT subverting the need for documents. NOT creating a backdoor. NOT welcoming new migrants into India. Just giving some people 6 years of life.

AND I accept your willingness to remain voluntarily unaware but polarised, making assumptions about an Act that has not been framed yet, and connecting dots that are completely unrelated.

BUT, if after this, you say one word against the attack on Nankana Sahib, then, my dear friend, I will truly lose all respect for you.

Because voluntary ignorance and difference of opinion is one thing. Hypocrisy is quite another. 

You have chosen one side of the table. Now stay there.

By the way, it hasn't occurred to any intelligent folks yet, but the CAA could have gone through and a representation could have been made to the government to include the others, one by one. There was no need to deny this benefit to those who need it so much.

2 comments:

kj said...

I don't know the issue you're addressing, but I'm sure you're on the right side of it.

The world is at a sad place. I'm praying for improvement.

love
kj

How do we know said...

Hi kj: Thank you for saying this. :) People have died because of these protests and I am deeply disturbed.