Wednesday, January 10, 2007
25 Unusual Indians
The Week, India, in the January 7, 2007 issue has done something stupendous!!
They have a Cover Story on 25 unusual Indians.
1. A person who uses his nose and mouth to generate enough power(electricity) to run a bike for 10 kilometers.
2. A 70 year old person who greets foreign visitors to his city and makes sure that the tourism industry cheats do not get to them, feeds them at his house often, and takes care of them as a true host would, all in the belief that it is his duty to play host to people visiting his country.
3. An old man in Bihar who developed an amphibian cycle because of the floods. Its a hit! And he designed it in 3 days!
4. The man in a village in Punjab who creates the smallest working models of several things.. then uses these miniature models to generate an interest in the science among his students - Govt. school children.
5. A boy who can twist his entire body through a badminton racquet!
What impressed me even more was the places - Hatihalka in East Midnapore(Bengal), Vijinapura (Karnataka), Shardulgarh, Ansa (Punjab), Dimapur(Nagaland), Cuddalore (Tamil Nadu), Saurikh (UP), a village perhaps too small to be named, Motihari Distt. (Bihar) , Bangalore, Ziona, Baktwang(Mizoram), Rohtak(Haryana), Hailakandi(Assam), Mettur(Tamil Nadu), Gulmarg(Kashmir).
Go Week!! JUST THE KIND OF NEWS WE NEED! All brimming with positive energy, these stories about the grits of people who did not necessarily study, came from humble backgrounds, and had only themselves to believe in or doubt.
Much less column space to the elections and the threats please.. there is a lot of good news in the world!