Wednesday, August 24, 2016

KNow Your Prakriti

Have you ever wondered why the gharelu nuskhe and home remedies work for some ppl and not for some others? The answer lies in the first chapter of Charaka Samhita, which I read during pregnancy.

Every body is composed of Triguna and Tridosha. These determine your prakriti or constitution. Every food item has its own Rasa and Sattva (essence), which in turn has an effect on the Guna/Doshas.

One of the first things we must do, is to understand not only our "Dosha" but also our "Guna". I am saying this specifically bcs the Ayurveda practitioners I speak to work on dosha.

The Triguna is - Satvik, Rajsik, Tamsik. The Tridosha is - Vaat, Pitta, Kapha. These determine everything about you - your temperament, ailments, what medicines will work for you, et al.

If you take a remedy that does not work with your prakriti, it will not have the same effect.

So, the takeaway from this early morning gyaan is this - maybe we should become aware of our own prakriti, and then align our food, actions and lifestyle, to that prakriti. It will bring a lot of harmony to our lives and wellness. For instance, my guna is Satvik. Accordingly, I don't eat meat or rich food. I cannot be in places where there is anger or greed.

2 comments:

Onkar said...

very true

Manish Raj said...

How do I know about my Dosha ? and my Guna ?

I don't eat meat. What are examples of rich food ? But like you I too get uneasy in company of greedy people.